I was so excited to hear about the recent opening of The Veranda Resort on the island of Turks & Caicos. For several reasons, I think this hotel is going to be a winner among families looking for a new place to go for the holidays I (in contrast to the Viceroy in Anguilla which has not received such favorable recent reviews)…here’s why:
1) Turks & Caicos is an easy, direct flight from many metropolitan hubs (especially NYC) and the beaches are beautiful.
2) The Veranda is managed by The Grace Bay Club, which is a beautiful and well-managed hotel in itself (having stayed there, I can say this comfortably).
3) The Veranda is particularly meant for families with spacious 1 to 3 bedroom accommodations (and eight 3,000 sq ft + beachfront cottages with barbecues and white picket fences!) all equipped with LCD flat screen TVs, Sony Dream Machine, Play Station 3, complimentary Wi-Fi, Egyptian linens and feather beds.
4) It’s fully inclusive – I like this concept but its historically been associated with less exclusive resorts (this is not a “sandals” or “beaches” resort by any means). This means no worries about extra hidden costs. However, if you prefer to eat out a lot, it might not make sense.
5) It’s located on 800 feet prime beachfront property on Grace Bay Beach (next to the Beaches resort but not too close).
6) 3 swimming pools (one devoted to kids), the requisite kids club, casino, and an asian-theme spa!
Word is still out on this hotel as it is still in soft opening mode so I will report back later with more feedback. Great opening rates are to be had if you book now on the website.
INVIATO UPDATE 6/22/10: Friends who recently stayed here loved the accommodations (“spacious”), service and kid’s club. The decor is, as quoted, “a little too much like being in Toon Town at Disney World”.